The Brain is the most integral part of our nervous system. Brain centralizes our ability to think, move, speak and remember.
If any abnormalities arise, Brain surgery is addressed so that these problems can be treated without disrupting any important functions. The problems are such as Tumors, Leaky blood vessels, epilepsy, etc.
The extracellular growth of any cell inside the brain is known as a brain tumor. These tumors are of various kinds depending upon their size and their location. Few tumors can be cancerous and some may not. But, irrespective of their nature tumors need to be treated at the right time to avoid any serious issues.
This all can be caused due to an accident, by birth, any injury, or disease.
Brain Tumor Surgery leads to the removal of the extracellular growth from the brain. The main purpose of the surgery is to remove the extra growth so that it cannot affect the normal working cells. The seriousness of the surgery depends upon the symptoms and growth of the cells. Newport Beach Surgeons decide treatment according to the severity, as less serious tumors can be treated through medication but as the seriousness increases, they need to be operated. Some of the symptoms are blood clots, abnormal physical activity, abscesses, etc.
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery:
- Biopsy: Biopsy is a procedure in which a small amount of tumor is removed to examine under the microscope. In this surgery, a small incision/hole is done in the skull by Newport Beach Neurosurgeon.
- Craniotomy: It is also known as open surgery. It involves an incision in the scalp. After getting the hole done, the associated tumor has been removed. This procedure involves the removal of a small part of the skull bone and the hole may be left open. As the hole may be left open this procedure is called a craniotomy.
- Neuro – Endoscopy: After diagnosing the location of the tumor, a small hole is done in the skull. And, with the help of an endoscope, the tumor gets extracted from the skull without affecting the normal cells.
- Deep Brain Simulation: In this surgery, electrodes are being placed beside the brain so that it can provide optimum electric signals to the brain. This signal stimulates which causes an efficient treatment.
- Endonasal – Endoscopic Surgery: In this category of surgery, an endoscopic tube is passed through the nasal path (nose) to the brain. And with the help of a telescope and camera, surgeons remove the tumor part with the help of a thin tube which is gone through the nasal cavity. Tumors that are growing at the bottom part of the skull can be treated through this surgery.
- MRI – Guided Laser Ablation: This surgery includes the laser technique through which the growth of the tumor degrades by targeting the tumor. This surgery is performed very carefully when the tumor is present in the sensitive area, as traditional surgery is hard to perform. This surgery is much more advanced and has less recovery time.
Unlike with any other surgery, brain surgery also involves risk of bleeding, reactions, infections, etc. other side effects are:
- Brain Swelling
- Balance issues / seizures
- Confusions / difficult in speaking
- Memory loss
- Brain damage/blood clot
Brain surgery is a life-saving program. It can remove a major part of the tumor but some parts can remain at their place and can be treated through chemotherapy or radiation. Advancement in medical science has made brain surgery safer. New, less invasive procedures reduced the risks of complications. The best way to recover post-surgery is by avoiding excess activities.