If you don’t like soup, you are not a real food lover. Soup is one of those dishes that have existed through the centuries in different forms. From the simple chicken soup/stock to the later developed- French onion soup- We are just salivating at its name! You can find soup recipes on our food recipe blog– foodism
Now we have so many soups, one of the favourites is broccoli cheese soup. Broccoli is a nutritional legend, it has vitamin A, K, C & other minerals like calcium, potassium etc. The beautiful green florets have been popularised in Italy for centuries and they entered the USA in the early 20th century. Though, back then broccoli soups were not common. Soon eating rich, creamy soups with luxurious textures became a part of classic french cuisine.
In 1990, Campbell’s soup company introduced its most successful new soup in 55 years, condensed Cream of Broccoli, with the “Get President George Bush to Eat Broccoli” recipe contest! And this is how the story of Broccoli cheese soup goes, of course, this one is the modernised version. Here is the perfect broccoli cheese soup recipe for you-
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 big carrot peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Chilli powder
- 1.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
- 1 head of broccoli cut into small florets
- 110 g sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- In a pan, heat olive oil and add onion, carrot, salt, pepper and saute.
- Keep stirring for 2 minutes till they soften.
- Add garlic and wait for it to cook and brown.
- Add the butter and flour and roast everything together.
- Add the stock slowly and bring the fixture together.
- You can also puree your broccoli to make it more creamy.
- Add the broccoli and stir.
- Adjust the salt and add the cheddar.
- Let the soup come together whilst its boeing.
- Serve with garnish of cheddar on top!
Benefits of Broccoli
Improves Heart Health
If you make steamed broccoli a part of your daily diet, it lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease by controlling cholesterol level of the body. You can also increase spinach , kale or other leafy greens to have the same effect.
Superfood with cancer protective compounds
Can broccoli prevent cancer? Of course not! But it can reduce the risk factors of cancer to a certain level. The component sulforaphane, a phytochemical which is also the reason for the slight bitter taste may play a part in enhancing detoxification of airborne toxins and hence can be considered as a cancer protective compound!
Improves Eye Health
It’s a green vegetable, eat it because it can potentially improve your eye health! It contains carotenoids that are linked to a decreased risk of age-related eye disorders, such as cataracts and macular degeneration!
What’s more? It can also regulate your hormones through Indole-3-carbinol, this is a plant oestrogen and may help in balancing hormones, So Eat your soup!